I can’t be the only one who has to hide the good stuff [you know –those leafy greens] into my kids daily meals by coming up with mysterious + clever ways, right!? If you’re saying a’ hell yessss, then you might want to read a little further 😉
Let me introduce you to THE HULK MUFFINS [aka. Spinach + Banana muffins!]. These little muffins are packed with healthy ingredients and taste incredibly delicious, too! Super moist, freezes amazingly well, and absolutely perfect to add in school lunches.
And because of there super green colour [so much spinach! yay!!] we added a clever name to further hook my kiddos, and I’m not embarrassed to tell you that it totally worked…Cooking with Kids: Hulk Muffins
Difficulty: Easy but multiple steps [so bake a double batch] || Mess Factor: Not so bad
- 2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- zest of one Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 – 3 medium ripe Bananas
- 2 cups packed Baby Spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine the flour + baking powder + baking soda + salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs + sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the oil + lemon zest + yogurt, + vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mash up the banana + add to wet mixture.
- In Food processor, blend the spinach leaves until very (very!) finely chopped. Now add to the wet mixture + mix to combine.
- Making sure not to over mix, add both the wet mixture and dry mixtures together + stir until just combined.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Spoon the batter into each cup, filling them all the way to the top.
- Bake at 350F for 17-20 minutes. You can check by inserting a toothpick into the centre and if it comes out clean, you’re good to go!
- Remove from the muffin tin and let cool. You can store in the fridge, or freezer for later use (hello, lunch snacks!!).
Photography: Karly Ford Photo || Rachelle’s Dress: The Skinny || Recipe adapted from Fun & Food CafeThanks to SPUD Organics for having all these awesome products available with ease. Also feels good knowing you’re getting the organic good stuff in them, too! And to Sarasota Homes for the use of this STUNNING kitchen!!
Candle || Natura Soy
Backpack || Fjallraven Kanken
Lunch Box || Planet Box
Again! Special thanks to Karly Ford Photography for shooting these awesome pics. Much love to you, babe!